Thursday, February 23, 2017

Visit at Valiant Cross Academy

"The world does not need supermen. It needs supernatural men; men who will learn from their youth, to let go of self, to let the power of the Holy Spirit raise them to new heights. Courageous men, righteous men, committed men, loving men who will rise up to lead, to serve, to inspire."

 These are the words that I gazed upon, as I entered the doors of this school. Valiant Cross Academy. After listening to the headmaster of this school, Anthony Brock, speak at a Leadership Conference, I just had to visit this school, and see for myself, these young "scholars" that this school claims it is nurturing. I knocked on the door, and was gracefully welcomed in by someone in the front office. "Good afternoon, and welcome to Valiant Cross Academy, and how may I help you", she said. After I told her I was looking for Mr. Brock, she simply smiled and chuckled, telling me to follow her. To my surprise, she sends me to a cafeteria-like area, and to my amazement, I saw Anthony Brock and his brother coaching football! The students, or scholars, were very attentive, as they work on their defensive stands. In the corner area, there was a group of scholars, who were doing school work. Some had out their macbooks, and were doing research and talking about minecraft. Others, were doing math and vocabulary.

Not to bother Anthony Brock, I went over to the scholars sitting down and began asking questions. What was interesting, is that all of the students sitting down were polite and respectful. Whatever question I asked, whether it was a math question, a technology question (yes I am techy), or an art or vocabulary question, they responded. I must say it was great conversation speaking with the scholars. What's amazing is the fact that I noticed there was no one watching over the students, no teacher in sight, and the scholars knew what to do. Now, I enter a lot of middle school classes in my field of work, and believe me, if an adult is not present, students normally aren't quiet and doing their work (I mean come on, did you at that age).




Finally, Mr. Brock was able to get away from his coaching, and we begin to talk. He explained to me what was happening at the given time. Some of his scholars were in their football practice, while the others, who were on the golf team, were doing their assignments. It was toward the end of the day, in which the students were getting ready to start their afternoon programs.

I got to tour the school, and I really enjoyed what I saw. There were pictures everywhere of the scholars. The classrooms were open and inviting. The classrooms were bright, and most of them had a wall dedicated to different colleges and universities.

Brock Anthony spoke of the vision for Valiant Cross Academy, and if you ever visit the school, you would see it all over. From the mannerable scholars and student learning, to the two founders leading in football practice. I even enjoyed the teachers who all were in a room, having a cross-curriculum meeting, which seemed like each teacher was learning from the other. I had the opportunity of speaking with a teacher, who is also into technology, and we spoke about our roles as head technologist in schools. In my opinion, that's what education is about. This experience has definitely motivated me to continue with my aspirations and my goals with what I am looking to do with my administrators, teachers, and students. I can't wait for the next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ecosystems

  Weekly Curriculum Update Dear Parents,  Welcome to Week # ! The curriculum calendar for this week has been attached, here are some highlig...